FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why I'm switching to IHG (after SPG dies)
Old Jun 23, 2017, 9:30 am
rbAA

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by grandgourmand
I spend a lot of time thinking about which hotel chain will be my main one after Marriott completes the SPG takeover. I am working under the assumption that SPG will not be as good as it is today. To be clear, I choose SPG mainly because I like the points for airline transfers. The fact that we have a SPG credit card in Canada also helps.

So why IHG:
1) I can buy Ambassador status
2) I like the hotels more than SPG's. I mainly stay at Sheratons and Westins.
3) I get more room upgrades, even at non-Intercontinentals
4) I like the promotions. FYI SPG hasn't offered me a "challenge to get points" in over a year.
5) I like the brands, especially Indigo

There are more reasons...but those would be the main ones.

For background I stay at hotels enough to get mid-tier status.

And I'm writing this post from the Indigo in Wan Chai HKG. Got upgraded to a suite so perhaps my views are a bit biased right now.
I have both IHG AMB/Spire (previously RA) and SPG PLT50, so I tend to agree with most of your points. However, the more I look at MR, I see some things that I like.

For example, there are some better ratios on the free nights plus airline miles awards, especially for UA, on MR with 7 nights vs 5 nights on SPG, though if you're just interested in the miles alone, not so much. Also, in a few places I stay often, i.e. Phuket, I see more MR options especially on the north side of the island, Mai Khao especially, to stay out of the crazy Patong area. Though I do like the HIR Mai Khao property and regularly get great UPG's there.

All programs seem to be at or going to higher night counts for top status. MR offers the shortcut to PLT, so that's another plus. Some IHG properties are marginal, especially in the US. I recently stayed at the HI Charlseton Riverside and it needs a complete renovation. Price was decent though.

So, as with all things, it depends on what you like.