FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The SAS | EuroBonus Forum Kafé
View Single Post
Old Jun 22, 2017, 1:50 pm
GUWonder
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by OFFlyer
Has nada to do with freedom of movement. Freedom of movement is that you as a EU citizen you are free to live and work in any EU country - irespective of which EU citizenship you hold. A pretty remarkable feet that many take for granted (as the UK is slowly realizing these days :-))

Citizenship grant your certain rights for that country above and beyond the freedom of movement. But again has absolutely nothing to do with right of free movement.

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/atyour...FTU_2.1.3.html

An EU citizen losing EU national citizenship due to exercising the freedom of movement right is covered under EU treaty rights.

The freedom of movement and citizenship rights/benefits/losses due to such exercise have much to do with each other, as ECJ case law has already indicated. It's also explicitly indicated in this directive http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/...77:0123:en:PDF .

This kind of situation is going to come up at the ECJ, unless and until there are EUxits and/or EU treaty changes pulling the rug out from under the feet of potential plaintiffs/appellants. I guess time could perhaps prove me wrong, but I doubt it will on this unless and until there are the mentioned sort of EU treaty changes pulling the rug out from those who find themselves being second class citizens of a sort -- even if it's due to progeny of a citizen being treated as second or third class citizens.

From the Rottmann case and forward, things got more interesting -- the notion of EU citizenship has become a limit on the power of the EU Member States to deprive people of their EU Member State nationality.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jun 22, 2017 at 2:32 pm