FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Air Canada treats Star Alliance Gold Member unfairly
Old Jun 22, 2017, 10:21 am
RZR

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Nazdoom
As a young guy, my experience has been similar to OP's whereby there are more pre-conceptions that I'm flying Y / statusless when in NA versus Asia due to how I look. Granted, like OP, I don't dress to impress when flying (I flew 40k+ miles in the last 5 weeks, who wants to sit in overheated *A cabins in Asia in a blazer?). But in Asia, OZ, CX, SQ, JL, and TK have never wanted to confirm I'm in the right line, while AC will give me funny looks when I'm in the J line and confirm I know where I am. I haven't flown Y in two years. One of the YVR priority checkin agents went as far as to ask me for a credit card, and when I asked why, she said I needed to pay for my 2 bags because I don't have status. I had to point out I was flying J. On my last AC flight during two door boarding they had an agent guarding the J jetbridge who asked me if I was in J but didn't bother asking my statusless father straggling behind me (guess who bought his J ticket).

It's annoying, it does make you feel at times inferior to other pax when they aren't asked, so I understand OP's frustration and desire to vent. With that said, it's not actionable and it's not something I'd lose sleep over. I'd file it under AC staff not seeing a lot of young people with status / flying J and not some latent hatred of young people. OTOH, Asian carriers don't bat an eye at young folk flying F.
So, you want to feel "superior" then for flying up front, correct?