FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - GUC Use > Banging Head vs. Wall (Rant)
View Single Post
Old Jun 22, 2017, 9:22 am
rucksack

Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds
Well, I guess I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread and trudged through it as I assume this just recently changed... just in January of this year I did two KL-coded (V class) KL-operated US-EU tickets and upgraded them to Z inventory using DL GUCs. The process was shockingly easy actually. It was so painless that I had tagged that as the "ideal usage" pattern for future DL-GUC redemptions.

At least I educated myself here, and as usual, it seems things have gotten worse .
Yes - they changed the rules! This is what the site said in late Nov 2016:
Originally Posted by Delta, Nov 2016
Valid on all KLM-marketed, KLM-operated flights from published Main Cabin fares in Y, B, M, S, H, Q, K, L, U, T, X, or V class to Business Class.
This is what the site said in early Feb 2017:
Originally Posted by Delta, Feb 2017
Valid on all KLM-marketed, KLM-operated flights from published Main Cabin fares in Y, B, or M class to Business Class.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
A major advantage of trying to upgrade KLM marketed and KLM operated segments is that you can see business class upgrade inventory on EF. This includes the ability to search a range of dates at once and to save such searches for later use. It's very slick and EF even reminds you of the correct inventory you want.

For DL segments, we must call DL and be at the mercy of phone agents who might be experts at this and know exactly what to do or might be clueless but adamant.
What you say is misleading for two reasons:
  • It ignores that fact that you can now only upgrade Y, B, or M fares on KL-marketed, KL-operated segments
  • It implies that you can't identify upgrade inventory via ExpertFlyer for DL-marketed, KL-operated segments (you can, simply by finding Z inventory on the KL-marketed equivalent flight)

So, to recap: