FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Air Canada treats Star Alliance Gold Member unfairly
Old Jun 22, 2017, 6:58 am
montrealer

Programs: AC SEMM; AA,DL, Hyatt and Starwood. Ex-status:SQ PPS,CSA,Hilton,AA,UA
Originally Posted by johnny4508
Hey thanks for everyone's input on this.

Im just deeply disappointed overall with how Air Canada treats me. I've flown on many airlines throughout the world, but within canada i only fly air canada due to the star alliance relation. Maybe its just me not being used to how they treat people. Everytime at the airport check in counter they always tell me to go line up at the economy class check in and they think im in the wrong line. Im fine with being asked once, but its EVERYTIME ! Ive even asked a friend to come with just to show her how they treat me!
It could just be me though? Because im not a suited up business men?

As for the lounge, the person at the counter was on the phone while checking me in to the lounge, she didnt even bother hanging up her phone to tell me whats going on. She just asked for my ID and told me i couldnt come in, it wasnt until i went back later to talk to the other guy that he explained to me. What really upsets me is I spend tremendous amounts of money to fly , and yet just because im not old enough i cant use the perks of my status ?? I would think AC would come up with some type of compensation for this. Obviously they have to obey the laws, but what am i suppose to do? Not being able to enjoy the lounge for another year or so ? Its frustrating that this has never happened to me before, maybe because they didnt need to ID me because they think im old enough, but the only time they do ID me, they treated me very poorly.
Johnny, congrats on your frequent flying and welcome to the Air Canada board. I think you're seeing a clash of several factors. In writing this I'm recklessly making assumptions based on your stated EVA Air affiliation.

First, ageism is alive and well around the world. In various parts of the world, there are formal age-related regulations, which are adhered to with different levels of rigour. Unfortunately, Canada tends to institutionally take drinking age limits inflexibly seriously; an Air Canada superelite internationally renowned musical soloist who used to be a regular on Flyertalk routinely had the same trouble as you, not being allowed into the lounge (at times of day liquor is served) even if he had no interest whatsoever of partaking of it. Unfortunately, ageism doesn't stop with overzealous rules, and doesn't know geographical boundaries. I lived for 2 years in Singapore, and felt as conscious if not more of age-related resistance trying to advise (as a consultant) executives 20 years my senior there than I have in North America.

Second, there are important cultural differences in how respect is accorded and face preserved/lost. Air Canada (and United) staff are often particularly brusque in how they "treat" customers, while in some Asian airlines in particular airport and flight staff will speak deferentially and with a smile even as they tell you to get lost. With my cultural baggage, I may or may not respond to an AC/UA "dragon" equally brusquely, but I forget it a minute later and don't feel it reflects on me; meanwhile, it feels eerily weird when a SQ flight attendant obsequiously crouches to my eye level to apologetically ask me to fasten my seatbelt that I've cluelessly forgotten. I expect if I grew up or lived longer in Asia, the latter would feel normal, while I might feel quite put out by the former, feeling personally slighted.

Meanwhile, I don't know what to suggest on lounge entry/liquor laws. But on ageism and check-in lines, I'd suggest (if you aren't doing so already) having your *Gold luggage tag on your carry-on bag, and if "challenged" to go to the non-priority line anyway (the staff may not be able to eagle-eye see the *Gold logo and be aware of colour distinctions on *A cards), just serenely say "I'm *Gold" and you'll probably get anywhere from a grunt to a Canadian "I'm sorry" in response as you go about your business. You may well get queried more often due to your age, but even in my 40s I've been challenged (wearing faded jeans and a hiking shirt as opposed to suit or business-casual).

Last edited by montrealer; Jun 22, 2017 at 7:32 am