FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why I'm switching to IHG (after SPG dies)
Old Jun 21, 2017, 11:12 am
TravelTheWorld66

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, IHG Diamond AMB, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
Welcome to IHG! I personally think it's a great program and spend 200+ nights/year in IHG properties. If you're a road warrior it's the perfect program because there's a hotel in nearly every destination you could think of, tons of points earning opportunities, and an extremely rewarding Royal Ambassador program if you stay at Intercontinental properties frequently.

Agreed that elite benefits aren't substantial for the normal IHG tiers (Gold-Spire), but earning points on work travel is huge when it comes time to book a vacation stay, and IHG is very generous with points. I earn points on business travel by staying in HI, HIX and CP, and then redeem them at fantastic IC hotels and resorts around the world.

I've tried other programs, namely Hilton, Marriott and Hyatt and wasn't able to find the same consistency when it came to hotel location and points earning. So I stay exclusively at IHG properties unless there is a very advantageous promotion at another brand and I've already re-qualified for Spire and RA.