FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Do parents need permission letters from ex-spouse
Old Jun 21, 2017, 4:44 am
Perche

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by iapetus
I get what you're saying here, but I have to disagree. I don't think that this has anything to do with Italy or preconceptions about it (recall that this thread wasn't started in this forum) and everything to do with being a parent. While I think that most people in Western society these days don't have a problem with multi-racial families, you can't assume that that applies to everyone if you're subject to that sort of prejudice, particularly when that person might be an immigration officer with the power to cause one a lot of angst. That goes doubly when one's child is involved. And keep in mind that I agree that one is just as likely, if not more so, to face this sort of prejudice upon re-entering the US.

I would imagine that everything should run smoothly, but I wouldn't fault anyone from wanting to be prepared for such contingencies no matter the country.
I agree with that, but it think it rises to paranoia levels when it is recommended that you hire an attorney and bring notarized letters just to take a trip to Italy with your children because your ex-husband might call the airport and report a kidnapping. That is a heck of a lot of fear. The OP's question wasn't at all paranoid, but some of the recommendations and advice about how to travel with children was a little overblown, and creates unnecessary angst.

Last edited by Perche; Jun 21, 2017 at 5:14 am