FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Seat Recline Etiquette
View Single Post
Old Jun 19, 2017, 9:52 am
PeterT1953

Programs: Amex platinum, LeClubAccor Plat, Club Carlson gold, Hilton HHonours Diamond
Seat Recline Etiquette

I recall that this has been looked at in threads passim, but I could not find them.

Had a very recent flight - MEX to LHR in Y.

A family of 4 - father, mother and two children in the row in front. Within a minute of sitting down the child in the seat in front of mine (age about 12 / 13)slammed her seat into full recline. Prior to take off was asked to move it to upright by cabin crew, but as soon as they had gone past - full recline again.

Then at meal service, same thing - temporary upright then full recline spilling hot coffee over me.

I always ask those behind if they mind me reclining my seat and on this occasion the person behind said they would prefer I didn't as they find it very claustrophobic - which is fair enough.

I asked two members of cabin crew to help, and with each asking the child to put her seat up without success, and getting a mouthful in rapid Spanish from mum, shugged her shoulders and wandered off. At just over 6 foot I did find it pretty cramped.

I was not going to get all bent of shape over this (well, I was but literally rather than mentally ...) but I am wondering how other FTers would handle this situation. (apart from the obvious of flying WT+ or J - which was not possible on this occasion).

I accept that this IS public transport and it did the job of getting me 5000 odd miles in 10 hours but I would appreciate some strategies!