FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Renting at PHX; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread
Old Jun 18, 2017, 11:59 pm
JHnguyen93

Programs: Hertz 5 Star, National Executive, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by JHnguyen93
Just picked up at PHX, first week of Ultimate Choice. There were agents galore to help customers find a car, even at 9:30 at night. True to AutoSlash's word, the 5 Star cars generally had lower miles and were in better shape than those in Gold and non-member areas.

President's Circle: Cadillac XTS, Toyota Avalon and Camry, Nissan Maxima and Pathfinder, Kia Sorento, GMC Acadia, Hyundai Santa Fe Sport and Sonata, Buick Envision.
5 Star: Kia Sportage and Optima, VW Passat and Tiguan, Hyundai Sonata, Nissan Sentra and Altima, Chevy Cruze, Ford Fusion and Escape, Jeep Compass (old style).
Gold: Chevy Malibu and Cruze, VW Jetta, Mazda 3, Nissan Sentra and Altima, Kia Sportage and Optima, Jeep Renegade, Hyundai Sonata and Elantra.
Premium Upgrades: Infiniti Q50 and Q70, Mercedes CLA and C300, Audi A4, Cadillac XTS.
Compact, Midsize and Full Size were class typical selections.
Other interesting finds: Nissan NV cargo van and Toyota RAV4 in Midsize, Dodge Charger R/T in Full Size.

I first took a loaded Ford Escape Titanium with 4K miles, but found out it was checked out by an employee. Was about to take a VW Tiguan with 3K miles, but ended up taking a Hyundai Sonata Hybrid with 9K miles and active XM (gotta save on gas). So far, I'm liking UC at PHX. There was plenty to choose from.
When returning the car, PHX had pretty much the same selection as when I picked it up. However, 5 Star had several Ford Fusion Hybrids and a single Mercedes SLK300 roadster. No, that's not a typo. I asked the Hertz rep and she responded, "If it's in 5 Star, you can take it." If that was there when I picked up the Hyundai earlier, this weekend would've been that much more fun.

President's Circle had a Ford Edge, a Camaro Convertible and an Infiniti Q50 that was already occupied.