FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is it possible for a US citizen to get a Saudi Arabian transit visa?
Old Jun 18, 2017, 8:19 pm
g289t

Is it possible for a US citizen to get a Saudi Arabian transit visa?

I have been all over the web trying to find this information! I recently opened a thread on Reddit that was helpful, but I still have not been able to confirm yes or no beyond the shadow of a doubt.

I am looking at traveling on Saudia to India later this year. I'm the kind of traveler that likes to look for unusual, out of the way places to make my trip more interesting.

Saudi Arabian Airlines has good fares. I thought it would be interesting to arrange a day or two layover, if possible. I didn't find any restrictions on Enjaz, but I found a couple reports of Saudi Arabia suspending the transit visas a few years ago. I can book a ticket with a layover of less than 18 hours and at least touch down in the country without a visa, which I might do if a transit visa is impossible, but I'd love to book the flights with an extra day layover if I can get a transit visa.

I do realize that transiting via another city, such as Dubai, is the sensible thing to do! But yet I'm willing to go to a fair bit of hassle and expense to transit via Riyadh or Jeddah if at all possible. I've already seen Dubai, Amsterdam, Paris, Frankfurt, Istanbul, London, and many other potential transit points between the US and India. I'm looking for a unique travel experience! Any advice or (recent) experiences would be welcome!

I've not yet tried to contact the Saudi Arabian embassy in New York City or Washington DC, but I think it's nearly impossible to get ahold of them. I live roughly halfways between the two cities, so it's not like I can pop over on my lunch break. I will probably try to call them sometime soon though, for whatever good it will do.