FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How to communicate in a foreign country?
View Single Post
Old Jun 18, 2017, 4:17 pm
84fiero

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by CPRich
A combination of learning a few phrases in their language, finding someone who speaks your language, or setting on a third. And lucking out with material in a language you understand (e.g. Inka and Machu Picchu museums were both dual Spanish/English).

I was once on a trip in Italy and had a nice conversation with a Romanian couple in French. Out of the blue I took a shot with "Parlez-vous Francais?" and we were off.

Last week, I learned a lot about the Sacred Valley of Peru from a Chinchero resident who spoke only English and Quechua, minimal Spanish.

Between English, French, and a poco Espanol, I've managed to get by. But I haven't traveled to inner China or similar places. I suspect gestures, photos, etc., would be needed if I headed somewhere like that. Or a Guide/Translator.
It's surprising sometimes what will pop up like that. I once was at a B&B in Mexico where the American-born owner spoke English and Spanish fluently but a couple from France were there and they spoke more limited Spanish and English. My French isn't the best but I helped the three of them bridge the gap from time to time, which also helped refresh my French and Spanish a bit.

I'd say learning what you can beforehand, even if just basic phrases, is a good start, then get a good phrasebook and Google translate. Or like you said get a guide if more is needed in some locales - or even in places where you do speak some of the language if you want to get more in-depth.