FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Canadian Offer - Marriott® Rewards Premier Visa Card
Old Jun 18, 2017, 11:21 am
JJonahJ

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by phbl
I closed this card August last year. Just signed up (approved). Hope I get the 50k points like many others on here. The TC says only new so I dunno how 6 or 12 months would make a real difference as after 14, 18, 36 months you are still not new.
People still are reporting successful 50K welcome points and they are NOT new cardholders of this product.

Also I doubt the fears some others on here have that this card will vanish. The signup bonus is equiv to 20k spg, the card's only external benefit is the car-rental-drove-thru-a-soccer-goal-and-it-lit-on-fire benefit, and arguably the 2x for flights benefit (although amex gold is arguably/subjectively better value). Although a free night once we start paying for the card could be a good benefit if you're gold or above and use it in bangkok or somewhere.
I'm not sure how your points/reasoning have any explanation for allaying peoples fears, but I hope you're right.

I do not know why everyone keeps repeating this fallacy: at one point for a while there was the free night for new signups on day 0. That was then rolled back and for everyone it is only a benefit at day 365 (when you start paying the $120). Even completely virgin signups do not get the free night til year 1. FYF and a free cat1-4 night was a very sweet deal (especially for canada of all places) which probably explains why they rolled it back.
Again, not really sure what your discussion point is on this topic. You quoted Lazarev, and inferred that it was a fallacy about getting the Cat4 being "once in lifetime (or on some very long timeline)", and then morphed into discussion about the anniversary e-certificate. His point is valid, in a general sense, as explained in my next post-to-come.