FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why does Air Canada not provide free same-day changes for elites?
Old Jun 17, 2017, 1:11 pm
canadiancow
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
Did you forget the emoji, or are you awaiting the 747 result?
You're right, it could have used a ""

Anyway, no one has replied to my post on the differences between SDC on various airlines.

What exactly do you want?

Do you want free UA/AA-style SDC? Do you want the the fee to be dropped for AC's style of SDC? That would seem to make AC's the most generous policy in North America.

Just glancing at DL's policy also brings up some interesting points. You can't change a one-stop to a non-stop. You can't change to a different co-terminal, etc.

AA also has restrictions on changes to the itinerary.

AC may be the only one who charges top tier, but it is also a much more flexible policy than any of the US airlines, and I regularly do things on AC that, while they cost money, would be impossible as a 1K/EXP/DM on UA/AA/DL.

Who gets it free?
AA: Executive Platinum (SE equivalent)
DL: Gold and up (E50K+)
UA: Gold and up (E50K+)

So what do you want?

Why has no one actually written a well-thought proposal as to how this would work? Why not put some thought into this? A page or two with a proposal, and a comparison to the US legacies (specifically addressing the issues I've outlined about AC's policy allowing for way more flexibility in the permitted changes) would be much easier for everyone to comment on than a post that just says "I want free SDC". And if it were written well enough, you could probably even send it to someone at AC for review.