FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why does Air Canada not provide free same-day changes for elites?
Old Jun 17, 2017, 10:04 am
24left
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Air Canada does not provide a number of small perks to its SEs, MMs etc that are provided by the majors to the south and elsewhere - simply because they don't have to.

AC does not see itself as having competition in the Canadian marketplace at least. Further, AC is not going to provide anything to anyone where they can possibly make money instead.

Along with fees for SDCs, this forum has also asked why UA and AA give their 1Ks and EXPs a BoB choice and a drink, when these pax are seated in Coach. On the CX forum, there is discussion of small perks like this for MPC Diamonds when seated in Y etc.

How expensive is it really, to do something small like that? I'll assume that AC doesn't do it for a few reasons:
1. It might costs a few pennies
2. It might require the FA to actually go into the Y cabin and provide this
3. It might offend the "we are all equal" view that many have

Some airlines view these things as small ways to let their most valuable customers know they are, well, valuable. It's also a cultural thing.

However, we all know the story of an AC cabin crew member who once brought a drink to a SE or MM in Y, and was then fired.

To me, that says more about corporate culture than any discussion of free SDC for SEs etc.

As for the part about heading off to the MLL to drink or eat for 2 hours instead, well, I read that comment on this forum a long time ago and when I finally encountered that situation for myself, I used the same line with amusing responses.

I understand that AC wants to monetize everything they can. It's good for the airline, good for the shareholders, etc.

But I've often wondered why AC would not want to take customer with no checked bags, who was available to fly on the 3pm and put them on the 2pm. We all know the potential benefit to AC is it opens up seats on the 3pm and so on. Some of those seats may be needed to accommodate late-arriving connecting pax.

Anyway, who really knows. Just my humble opinion.