FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Qatar Airways - UAE, KSA, Bahrain and Egypt withdraw licenses and close airspace
Old Jun 16, 2017, 4:48 pm
rivlinm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, FM Prem, SPG gold
With all due respect for those having travel plans ahead of me, I must disagree with your opinion.

In certain regions of the world, certain nationalities require advance planning. A Sudanese or Iranian visa can't just be bought at the local store on your way to the airport. When I do land back in the USA, I need to continue my travel and must book those flights now at reasonable prices, not <7 days out prices because I waited to plan a MONTH LONG trip until three days out.

I certainly agree it would be bad form calling on June 6th, but a random Friday morning 2 weeks later harms nearly no one. I'm not one to abuse situations or cause undue burden on those in dire need, but at some point it has to be 'reasonable' to sort out our own travel that is potentially altered by the political landscape.

Besides isn't maximizing air and travel plans the true 'spirit' of FT?

To each their own...but I wasn't willing to cause myself $300-400 in additional travel costs by sitting on the sidelines waiting for a solution.