FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Others not obsessed with "Packing Light?"
Old Jun 15, 2017, 8:15 pm
darthbimmer

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by ryan-twob
So, not trolling really, but a 14 year tenure on FT does not equate to taking up residence. A quick search on the topic did not yield a directly correlating thread. I was really looking for thoughts as to what I am missing in the equation...
As the person who accused you of trolling I see that I had a hair trigger. I regret that.

To address your question.... Remember that for almost anything you can imagine there are people who take it to an extreme. They focus on the metric and not the meaning. For the vast majority of people "pack lightly" is not about whether they can absolutely always pack everything into carry-on bags and certainly not about whether those bags total 9kg or 8. "Pack lightly" is really about making reasonable choices in what to bring in order to avoid the tradeoffs of cost, time, and risk entailed in checking bags.

Like most people who've replied here, I pack lightly... to the extent reasonable. On shorter trips that almost always means carry-ons only. Occasionally I check a bag for a shorter trip when I've got specialized gear that just doesn't fit in a carryon. On longer trips (week+) I usually check a bag though occasionally I can fit it all in a carryon-- particularly when I'm visiting only one climate and don't need both business and sport attire. Finally, when I do check a bag it's just one bag. (When my wife and I travel together we'll try to check one bag between us.) And it's a 25" roller, not a steamer trunk. I abhor packing more than I can lift in one go.