FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Others not obsessed with "Packing Light?"
Old Jun 15, 2017, 7:26 pm
chrisl137
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Giggleswick
Oh, yeah? Well, I'm taking seventeen large suitcases and two steamer trunks. So there! And that's for just a weekend in NYC.
I'm bringing a paddlewheel steamer. And that's just to visit the opera house on the other side of the mountain!

Originally Posted by ft101
The guys that take delight in getting out the airport 5 milliseconds after the door opened are still waiting in the taxi queue (or bus or car hire or hotel check in etc) when I get there after picking my checked bags up.
Flying home into LAX with just carry-ons, I can be in my car and on the way home before the bags hit the carousel. I don't even try to single-bag, but I have a small backpack that carries all the electronics plus toiletries, and an old soft-sided shoulder carry-on (double clamshell, no rigid frame, one side has an expansion zipper) for my clothes. The soft carry-on is nice because even if I board late it can be squished into an overhead.

Originally Posted by derelict
For me it depends on what my trip entails. For trips where I am in a different city every day (usually meaning one flight per day or almost that much) I try to pack light so I can carry on only.
This is really it. I've flown with as much as two bicycles, plus extra wheels, plus various other luggage, and with as little as a small backpack with a laptop in it.

If I'm traveling up to 10 days or so for normal work or vacation I can carry everything in the bags above. If it's for fieldwork or an outdoor adventure, I might check up to the checked bag limit and have everything carefully packed to stay in the limit, or even pay for extra bags if there's a lot of equipment.