FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Canadian Offer - Marriott® Rewards Premier Visa Card
Old Jun 15, 2017, 6:30 pm
phbl

I closed this card August last year. Just signed up (approved). Hope I get the 50k points like many others on here. The TC says only new so I dunno how 6 or 12 months would make a real difference as after 14, 18, 36 months you are still not new.

Also I doubt the fears some others on here have that this card will vanish. The signup bonus is equiv to 20k spg, the card's only external benefit is the car-rental-drove-thru-a-soccer-goal-and-it-lit-on-fire benefit, and arguably the 2x for flights benefit (although amex gold is arguably/subjectively better value). Although a free night once we start paying for the card could be a good benefit if you're gold or above and use it in bangkok or somewhere.

My angle is converting marriott to mileage plus points as mileage plus is extremely valuable (for my needs) during that annual 25% bonus marriott:united window. And if you're really points rich some of those marriott hotel+flight offers are incredible deals. I think for the purpose of free hotel nights marriott rewards is awful, especially compared to spg, which can have some incredible sweet spots, like $250/night rooms going for 3500spg+55usd.

Originally Posted by Lazarev
but you will not get free night eCertificate for cat4 - that one is only once in lifetime (or on some very long timeline)
I do not know why everyone keeps repeating this fallacy: at one point for a while there was the free night for new signups on day 0. That was then rolled back and for everyone it is only a benefit at day 365 (when you start paying the $120). Even completely virgin signups do not get the free night til year 1. FYF and a free cat1-4 night was a very sweet deal (especially for canada of all places) which probably explains why they rolled it back.

Originally Posted by jerry305
In the past, I thought the T&C were that only "new" cardholders were eligible for the bonus points.

Is that language in these terms anywhere?
I just want to avoid applying, getting the card, and being denied points.

My last card was cancelled in February, but I may try again anyway... I fear this card may soon be discontinued.
Refer to pp2, "Bonus Points"
Please allow 8 to 10 weeks after your first purchase for points to be posted to your Marriott Rewards account. This one-time bonus offer is valid only for first-time Marriott Rewards Premier Visa Cardmembers. Previous and existing Marriott Rewards Premier Visa Cardmembers are not eligible for this bonus offer. If your account is not kept open for at least 6 months, Marriott and Chase reserve the right to deduct the bonus points from your Marriott Rewards account. Purchases must not be returned or otherwise offset by a credit to your account in order to qualify.

Last edited by phbl; Jun 15, 2017 at 6:41 pm