FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Who are the ugly DMs?
View Single Post
Old Jun 14, 2017, 10:32 am
sscywong

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Originally Posted by yannerd
On the flip side, would you accept the food/amenities from F when flying J because you're a valued DM? Or would you still complain if you were offered the same as the other DM?
1. I never request nor being offered cross class amenities / food / whatever as DM

2. The one and only time I was offered F lunch in J was when I was GO flying a D fare ticket. The meal choices were lamb (which I don't eat), fish and forgot what it was (where I strongly not prefer it, should be like something super spicy or extremely heavily flavoured). I told the FP that I'd choose to skip the entree after few minutes of consideration. Then after confirming that there's excess fish entree in F FP provided me with the fish entree from F

3. Yes, as I won't take it. I'll even file one more "charge" against the ISM as (s)he tries to bribe me (technically speaking that's bribery)

Originally Posted by 24left
The issue with the chocolates for example, is that it makes no sense to buy things at the airport to give to a crew as thanks. It can be perceived that you are using it as "incentive" for more attentive service.

I've had discussions with captains and CX ISMs, AC SDs etc about this on the very few occasions where I gave a gift.

This was a very long flight and the service was impeccable (and I'm just a plain old paid J...sure OWE, but who cares).

So I asked the ISM to check what was available onboard for purchase. Then I asked if there were any gift cards. She gave me my purchases, I wrote out the cards and presented to her, saying this was for everyone.

I did not see it as my grandma's fruit gift but I can understand that others may.

I know that neither the captain or the ISM and cabin crews had ANY expectation and it seems they enjoyed their treats, based on my chat with them.

I know very well a gift is not expected and well, my mom was of a different era and her lectures to me were:

"Never go anywhere empty-handed and always write a thank-you note."

Not really the modern world nor always applicable when flying, but still.
I tried to do so once when I was extremely sick on both leg of my flight (ex-HKG was due to slight cold... ex-PRC was due to serious dizzy after client drinks + cold got serious) where so happen both were operated by the same team of crew. The team took really good care of me (offered me super lemon-heavy lemon tea to relief my sickness) and I tried to buy them chocolates on board. The ISM refused to take it and simply asked me to write a positive comment letter for the team... Of course I did so right afterwards

Anyway...