FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - high power laptop & in flight power
View Single Post
Old Jun 14, 2017, 12:04 am
nkedel
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
Really wanted a 14" version with a proper docking station (with 2 hard drives or more), but HP was one of the last ones to make one with a quad core chip...
Dell still makes the E5480 which are is a a nice 14" business notebook, with a choice of a quad-core i5+dGPU or quad-core i7 (iGPU only.) Cheap, too, on outlet. Takes two drives, allthough one requires a shorter M.2 card (2242) and replaces the WWAN card.

Lenovo makes a nice 14" quad core system, the T470p, with i7 + dGPU. Not sure if will take two M.2 cards.

The prior generation versions (E5470 / T460p) are still available through retail channels and outlet, and there isn't really much to recommend Kaby Lake (although the generation bump on the dGPU may be.)

None of these are really workstation-quality graphics, although 14" machines have very rarely been regularly available with decent workstation graphics chips.

There are also some 14" gaming notebooks (starting with the New Razer Blade) which pack a quad-core i5 or i7 with a rather more powerful GPU (just not one with professional OpenGL or ISV certification.)

The Dell 5520 and HP ZBook Studio are basically Macbook Pro 15 form factor clones, and are not much bigger than older 14" machines. Not sure about the HP but the Dell doesn't have a way to get a second drive, but with 2TB SSDs available (and at 2.5", not that expensive; m.2 PCI 2TB is absurd) it might be an option worth looking at.

I just got the new XPS 15 9560, which is the consumer version of the 5520; the only real difference is the GPU (GTX 1050 vs. M1200M... way faster gaming chip.)

--

The WD15 dock has no trouble powering the 130W Dell models (5510, 5520, XPS 15) but haven't tried it on any of the 180W or 240W models.

Last edited by nkedel; Jun 14, 2017 at 12:13 am