FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Who are the ugly DMs?
View Single Post
Old Jun 13, 2017, 12:10 pm
24left
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by yannerd

I've always debated doing this. I know North American carriers are happy to receive gifts like chocolates and I do give them sometimes but I always have reservations about doing the same for crews on Asian carriers. I didn't really think that crews from Asian carriers actually like gifts from passengers. It's kind of reminiscent of something like my grandma giving fruit or something as a gift and you can see the the other person appearing to accept it happily but as soon as my grandma leaves you know they're just going to throw it away. Maybe it's just the Hong Konger in me that's pragmatic.

The issue with the chocolates for example, is that it makes no sense to buy things at the airport to give to a crew as thanks. It can be perceived that you are using it as "incentive" for more attentive service.

I've had discussions with captains and CX ISMs, AC SDs etc about this on the very few occasions where I gave a gift.

This was a very long flight and the service was impeccable (and I'm just a plain old paid J...sure OWE, but who cares).

So I asked the ISM to check what was available onboard for purchase. Then I asked if there were any gift cards. She gave me my purchases, I wrote out the cards and presented to her, saying this was for everyone.

I did not see it as my grandma's fruit gift but I can understand that others may.

I know that neither the captain or the ISM and cabin crews had ANY expectation and it seems they enjoyed their treats, based on my chat with them.

I know very well a gift is not expected and well, my mom was of a different era and her lectures to me were:

"Never go anywhere empty-handed and always write a thank-you note."

Not really the modern world nor always applicable when flying, but still.