FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - high power laptop & in flight power
View Single Post
Old Jun 13, 2017, 11:08 am
SuperFlyBoy

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by nkedel
Besides Apple, who's come up with an "innovative" power plug solution? Magsafe is great, due to the lack of a mechanical connection, but patented.
Agreed - was just working on my daughter's MacBook Pro (who *somehow* managed to get hers infected! )

If you're concerned about the distance in back, there are a ton of right angle connectors available that convert the straight plug to a right angle one. Quick example with no endorsement intended:
http://amzn.to/2soVXE8
Great info - thanks!

Will be ordering a few of these to keep in my bag - not that I travel that much any longer...

As an aside, all of the new Dell models that I've seen with USB-C or USB-C+Thunderbolt can be powered over the USB-C port via a Dell USB-C (WD15) or Thunderbolt (TB15, TB16) dock. I don't know if a non-Dell high-wattage USB-C power cable (e.g. Apple's) will power them, but it might be worth looking into.

It's certainly a less bulky connector, although I worry about it's durability given how bad the design of the prior two smaller USB standards are. Seems to be the way the industry is going, though.
Exactly - that connector is too small and fragile - plus for the 7210s and high-power workstations - they are not supposed to properly power the laptop - although that's what the TB16 is proported to do...

Really wanted a 14" version with a proper docking station (with 2 hard drives or more), but HP was one of the last ones to make one with a quad core chip...