FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - high power laptop & in flight power
View Single Post
Old Jun 13, 2017, 11:00 am
nkedel
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
I also wonder why Dell doesn't come up with any innovative power plug solutions like other manufacturers! (These input plugs/connectors stick out quite a bit from the back of the unit)
(longer reply lost by &#$^#$ browser taking a backspace as a "bacK")

Besides Apple, who's come up with an "innovative" power plug solution? Magsafe is great, due to the lack of a mechanical connection, but patented.

The new Lenovo rectangular plug has been less reliable than the older barrel connector, in the name of thinness. The Dell attempt to move to a thinner barrel connector has been much less reliable.

From what I can see, the way laptops get moved and placed also leads to side connectors being more likely to be damaged than back connectors.

If you're concerned about the distance in back, there are a ton of right angle connectors available that convert the straight plug to a right angle one. Quick example with no endorsement intended:
http://amzn.to/2soVXE8

As an aside, all of the new Dell models that I've seen with USB-C or USB-C+Thunderbolt can be powered over the USB-C port via a Dell USB-C (WD15) or Thunderbolt (TB15, TB16) dock. I don't know if a non-Dell high-wattage USB-C power cable (e.g. Apple's) will power them, but it might be worth looking into.

It's certainly a less bulky connector, although I worry about it's durability given how bad the design of the prior two smaller USB standards are. Seems to be the way the industry is going, though.