FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Who are the ugly DMs?
View Single Post
Old Jun 13, 2017, 10:13 am
LoveHateRelationship

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
But most of the time, the ISMs offer them themselves. I think it is more about how doing this is not equitable at all - just because one is DM doesnt mean one should get something not within their paid class of service.
I think this is just something that has been perpetuated and now a lot of DMs have come to expect this type of service.

Having said that, I saw one of the FPs helping a passenger with her baby by kneeling down and holding the baby while the passenger was eating. This seemed to really peeve some of the crew as they now felt that they had to provide the same service or they might get written up. Once you set that expectation, people come to expect it all the time.

...That's absolutely true. That's why I've stopped writing compliments and instead buy them gifts like chocolate.
Originally Posted by 24left
...As you know, I am neither MPC, nor DM, nor a "local" as it were. I choose to fly CX and I pay for J. Not every flight is great, but when a crew stands out, how can you not say thanks with a gift.
I've always debated doing this. I know North American carriers are happy to receive gifts like chocolates and I do give them sometimes but I always have reservations about doing the same for crews on Asian carriers. I didn't really think that crews from Asian carriers actually like gifts from passengers. It's kind of reminiscent of something like my grandma giving fruit or something as a gift and you can see the the other person appearing to accept it happily but as soon as my grandma leaves you know they're just going to throw it away. Maybe it's just the Hong Konger in me that's pragmatic.