FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - high power laptop & in flight power
View Single Post
Old Jun 12, 2017, 7:08 pm
jackal
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
I also have a 7510 - wondering which 65w AC adapter works on it? (Model No. please - TIA!)

Or even a 90w one - anyone?
7510 owner here. Yes, it takes the larger (standard) barrel plug size. FWIW, a coworker has a current-gen (2017) XPS 15 and it takes the smaller barrel size.

I don't have all my adaptors with me (and won't be back home for awhile), but here's what I have with me:

"PA-4E Family" DA130PE1-00 (JU012)
"180w" DA180PM1111

Both are working fine to power my machine on AC. The 180W adapter did trip the protection circuit (immediately upon plugging in) on my last flight, but I did not get a chance to try the PA-4E on the flight as it was too hard to dig around my bag in-flight. I guess I don't have a 90W or 65W AC adapter with me.

I do have the aforementioned 90W car adapter with me that also works fine. I haven't used it in awhile, but my recollection is the throttling, if any, is minimal.

As I recall, the 65W adapter does throttle the machine to a painful degree. I don't recall the specific clock speed, but it makes even opening windows noticeably sluggish and dealing with demanding activities (even loading complex web pages) an exercise in frustration.

Even on a 180W adapter, I've never seen a draw of more than about 100W (at peak load, much lower at idle) through a Kill-A-Watt. As nkedel mentioned upthread, it isn't the actual continuous draw/load that trips the circuit but rather the initial jolt of startup current (maybe to charge the capacitors or something) that kills the circuit.

My experiences. Can do further, specific testing with what I have with me upon request, or maybe I'll remember to play around with things a bit more when I get back home and have all my adapters and meters and things at my disposal.

Last edited by jackal; Jun 12, 2017 at 7:15 pm