FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Carnival in Venice on our own
View Single Post
Old Jun 12, 2017, 6:49 pm
Perche

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by AX9465
Hello, we are thinking of visiting Carnival in 2018. There are many travel agents that will sell expensive itineraries that will include balls, and I assume that's the only way to get to one without too much hassle and the need to own costume (they will rent you one).

The question though, if we will just go on our own, walk the streets, etc. - will it be enough entertainment visible to the person without special access/bookings?

Any help wil be greatly appreciated.

AX
This is a matter of taste. If you walk around the streets, there are tons of Carnevale activities, and you will see many, many people in full costume, and some just wearing a mask. In Piazza San Marco they also have festivities, although that wouldn't be to my taste. If that's what you want to do, it's free. It's something like New Years Eve in Times Square.

All of the full costumes are rentals. It's very expensive. To rent a full costume to walk around Venice for one evening during Carnevale costs about 350 euros. And then to go to a ball in a costume, you are going to pay quite a bit more. It's a matter of taste if you want to do it.

Some people just buy a mask, or something like that to get into the spirit, but a full costume is very costly, if that's what you like.

If you do buy a mask, I suggest you find an artisanal shop, and not one of the tourist traps where you buy a fake mask that isn't worth taking home. I have a Japanese friend who spent three years learning how to make masks, as a work of art. It will cost a little bit more, but will be something of value to take home.

It is a matter of taste as to how far you want to go with it. These pictures are from this year's Carnevale. I'll bet the lady in white spent 400-500 euros to walk around in that. The lady with just make-up, you can do that for 150-200 euros. The group of four in full costume, I'm sure they spent quite a lot on that, at least 1500.
Attached Images