FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Outfitting your travel kit for USB-C
View Single Post
Old Jun 12, 2017, 4:17 pm
phltraveler

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
I'm starting this journey myself. I bought a Google Pixel when it came out, and then a Samsung Galaxy S8/MiFi with USB C ports within the last month. I also own a Nintendo Switch (also USB-C.) The move has been challenging thus far and I'm still figuring it out. I think it's really up to what is supported on the device side.

So basically, we have to bin the items into two categories:

USB PD only: Google Pixel and Nintendo Switch. The pixel will charge rapidly off a USB 2.0 cable, from what I am told, the Switch won't (wants a 3.1 C-to-C cable).

USB PD + something else: At least the US based (Qualcomm Snapdragon) model of the Galaxy S8 works with Quickcharge 2.0, as does my Mifi Hotspot from Verizon.

That being said, what I'm using:

USB PD wall chargers: I own a couple of these UGREEN USB PD wall chargers and they're alright. They're only one output but they charge everything above at rapid rates without complaint or any apparent issue. They're a bit fat but USB PD equipment seems in scarce supply. I'd recommend Anker's Powerline series for cables whether USB A to C or USB C to C, although if you have the switch, you want the more expensive USB 3.1 cable for full charging rates (or so I'm told; also, if your laptop uses it for charging, it's a much thicker cable than the 2.0 C to C cable)

USB PD Car chargers: Haven't found one yet, use a USB A QC 2.0 Tronsmart car charger with my S8 when traveling. Same for batteries.

I haven't expanded in the accessory front as I'm still getting the hand of chargers and cables. CATSA is not happy with the number of wires in my backpack right now and picks me for secondary

On the breakout front, it's a nice feature of the switch but I'm not sure USB C was ever designed for it. If anyone finds a solution, I'd be curious to hear about it.