FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004
Old Jun 12, 2017, 2:56 pm
corporate-wage-slave
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by andrelux
The missus and I are booked on flights LHR-GIG-LHR. Outward leg (26/12/17) in J, return (01/01/18) in F. With the change of aircraft from a 4- to a 3-cabin model, downgraded to J on return leg. This is all part of a BA holiday, which includes hotel in Rio. In addition, we have so far only paid part of the total price.
Traditionally when BA substitutes an aircraft without a First, they treat it as a cancellation rather than as a downgrade. I doubt you will get the 75% unless you are prepared to escalate it beyond BA and even then it's not a done deal, there have been big arguments in previous years' threads about this point.

On the other hand, because it is part of the Tour Package Regulations, you may get a sympathetic hearing in terms of not getting what you paid for. I would start with BA Holidays on the telephone first to see what they can do to remedy this.