FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004
Old Jun 12, 2017, 10:18 am
andrelux

Programs: BAEC Gold
help with downgrade compensation

The missus and I are booked on flights LHR-GIG-LHR. Outward leg (26/12/17) in J, return (01/01/18) in F. With the change of aircraft from a 4- to a 3-cabin model, downgraded to J on return leg. This is all part of a BA holiday, which includes hotel in Rio. In addition, we have so far only paid part of the total price.

Some questions before submitting my claim for downgrade according to EU261/2004, to check whether I've understood correctly.

(1) Obviously downgrade compensation only covers the leg for which we have actually been downgraded?

(2) Although EU261/2004 does not clearly state it, the 75% refund we are due on the leg is 75% of the base fare, exclusive of charges and taxes?

(3) Although BA dealt with the situation by cancelling the original flight in MMB, then re-booking us on a flight with the same flight number, I am sure that this is purely a matter of process and that they won’t at a later stage try to claim that we were the victims of a cancellation rather than being downgraded.

(4) I’m guessing that the compensation would simply be deducted from the outstanding amount to pay which would be simplest. Or would it not happen like that?

Thanks for any answers.