FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ex DUB logistics and positioning | clinic thread
Old Jun 12, 2017, 8:34 am
dca100

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
Anyone doing back to backs good luck, you'll need it!
Wise words. I completed a B2B trip to DUB earlier today. It was a total nightmare and it was only through great luck, sprinting and pleading that I made it.

The outbound from LHR was delayed and landed at the 200 gates some 15 mins late. This left me with a notional 30 minutes to get through the airport and back to the gate. I was looking for the recently-reported way of doubling back to the gate but if there is one I couldn't see it.

The queue for passport control was enormous. I'd estimate at least 25-30 minutes. So with no other option I pleaded with a staff member for help. Very fortunately the person i asked generously got me close to the front of the queue, so was through in about 10 minutes all told. 20 mins remaining to departure!

I then sprinted to flight connections - the length of the terminal or at least it felt that way - to be confronted with another quite long line for security. I managed to beg my way to the front (thanks to some very kind and generous people in the queue).

Through security, I was then faced with a final sprint the length of the terminal again to gate 204. I made it with 8 minutes to spare before scheduled departure time. It seems I struck lucky that the late arrival mean't that the gate closed about 10 mins later than scheduled.

I was the last to board the plane and it took me about half of the flight back to LHR to recover.

So I avoided disaster, but only by the skin of my teeth. I'd say that B2B from Dublin is a categorical NO now. Far too risky and probably impossible without help to jump queues.

As an aside logistics-wise, back at T5 for some reason I decided to go through flight connections rather than the land-side > First Wing route. Another bad decision - the queue for connections security was huge too.

Lesson learned. I'd advise an absolute minimum 90 mins between flights at DUB and would rule out B2B all together.

Last edited by dca100; Jun 12, 2017 at 8:37 am Reason: detail added