FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Current US passport wait? (Merged Threads)
Old Jun 11, 2017, 1:41 pm
GUWonder
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by fwoomp
I wonder what would happen if you provided a signed statement saying, "I have entered 000-00-0000 on my passport application because, while I have a SSN, I do not have to give it to you per the Privacy Act of 1974, and I am retaining that right."

...other than that if you were going to take that approach, you should probably allow at least 6 months before travel.

In any case, agpt, good luck.
Los Federales have a history of getting exempted from the Privacy Act of 1974 when it comes to some aspects of travel and life beyond even just that.

Originally Posted by From DS-11 application
PRIVACY Act

AUTHORITIES: Collection of this information is authorized by 22 U.S.C. 211a et seq.; 8 U.S.C. 1104; 26 U.S.C. 6039E, 22 U.S.C. 2714a(f), Section 236 of the Admiral James W. Nance and Meg Donovan Foreign Relations Authorization Act, Fiscal Years 2000 and 2001; Executive Order 11295 (August 5, 1966); and 22 C.F.R. parts 50 and 51.

PURPOSE: We are requesting this information in order to determine your eligibility to be issued a U.S. passport. Your Social Security number is used to verify your identity.

ROUTINE USES: This information may be disclosed to another domestic government agency, a private contractor, a foreign government agency, or to a private person or private employer in accordance with certain approved routine uses. These routine uses include, but are not limited to, law enforcement activities, employment verification, fraud prevention, border security, counterterrorism, litigation activities, and activities that meet the Secretary of State's responsibility to protect U.S. citizens and non-citizen nationals abroad. More information on the Routine Uses for the system can be found in System of Records Notices State-05, Overseas Citizen Services Records and State-26, Passport Records.

DISCLOSURE: Providing information on this form is voluntary. Be advised, however, that failure to provide the information requested on this form may cause delays in processing your U.S. passport application and/or could result in the refusal or denial of your application.

Failure to provide your Social Security number may result in the denial of your application (consistent with 22 U.S.C. 2714a(f)) and may subject you to a penalty enforced by the Internal Revenue Service, as described in the Federal Tax Law section of the instructions to this form. Your Social Security number will be provided to the Department of the Treasury and may be used in connection with debt collection, among other purposes authorized and generally described in this section.
A SSN is not needed to verify identity to get a US passport.

The last standard passport application I saw without a US SSN on it took less than 3 weeks between:

application being accepted for filing by State with all the required proof of citizenship and of identity; and

passport issue date.

And it was for a person who had no US photo ID to submit prior to application. But this was for a natural-born US citizen who never had a SSN as far as I know.

An application the same day with a US SSN took a day or two longer while another took a day or two less.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jun 11, 2017 at 1:59 pm