FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Weekly Commuting by Air
View Single Post
Old Jun 10, 2017, 5:12 pm
guv1976
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Sarah12
Hello, I'm new to Flyertalk. I'm wondering if there is anyone who commutes weekly or once every 2 weeks to their place of work. I live in the Greater Palm Springs area with my family and I'm interviewing for a job in Silicon Valley/San Francisco Bay area. I will maintain my permanent home that we own in Palm Springs and stay/rent in the SF Bay area. What is the most cost saving way to purchase airline tickets for a regular commuting route? Can I buy them in bulk? 10-20 or so round-trip tickets? My airline choices from PSP to SFO will be Alaska Air, Virgin Atlantic and United. I would leave PSP on a Sunday evening and return to PSP on a Friday after work. Any tips would be helpful from air commuters? Thank you
I would check to see if one-way fares in that market are typically priced at half of a roundtrip. If not, and the cheapest round-trips require a Saturday night stay, you could buy an initial PSP-SFO one-way, and follow that with SFO-PSP-SFO round-trips.

Also, if you decide to primarily fly a single carrier on that route, then you'll need to decide which frequent-flyer program to credit your flights to. If, for example, you were to primarily fly AS, you might credit your miles to AS. But you might also decide that you'd be better off crediting your flights to AA. You'd have to decide what you value in an FFP, and which program is better for what you value.