FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New TSA Credential Authentication Technology ID Scanners - No Boarding Pass Required
Old Jun 10, 2017, 3:57 am
WillCAD

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by exerda
That's an interesting point. You'd think it would.

Yes, and one worry is that the screener will rely too much on the machine and not really pay close attention to whether the ID matches the pax or is not tampered with in any way (or that the TSO can judge that accurately, which is another matter altogether). "But the machine said they're good!" I worry about such false sense of security through relying too much on technology...

There's a RFQ for a BPA out there right now regarding the follow-on to STIP which would bring back online most of the checkpoint screening devices. I'd be interested to see what they (the TSA) intend to do with linking the CAT, SecureFlight, WTMD, checked baggage x-rays, etc., in any kind of fashion which makes a remote degree of sense.

As I work for one of the companies potentially bidding on that BPA, I won't hazard to think what we'd do with it (nor is the TSA work in my domain), but I am genuinely curious what TSA wants to get out of such a system.
I hate the idea of TSA pouring millions of dollars into another new machine which may or may not work the way they intend, but I also tend to prefer relying on machines more than TSOs. If there is a machine that can scan an ID and run it against the NFL, then scan a BP and run it against the airlines' records to ensure validity, then the purpose of the ID/BP check is accomplished - ensuring that only ticketed passengers are screened and allowed into the sterile area. There is of course a possibility of a Bad Guy using someone else's legitimate ID to book a flight and gain entry into the sterile area, but I consider that to be a low risk, if TSA actually does its real job, which is physical screening for WEI.

Eliminate the TSO TDC and you'll reduce TSA staffing needs by 1-2 personnel at each c/p across the country. Combine that with belts equipped with automatic tub returns, which eliminate more TSA busy work, and you've really got something.

The real improvement would come by eliminating the war on water and the entire SPOT program, re-focusing the efforts of the remaining personnel on finding actual WEI instead of purses with images of guns, lightsaber canes, snow globes, shampoo, perfume bottles, and cupcakes. But one step at a time.