FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Emirates business lounge access denied?
View Single Post
Old Jun 10, 2017, 12:50 am
ioto1902

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
Originally Posted by Cat Man Do
Pretty sure guesting someone does not actually require knowing them, nor pretending to know them. I've had people whom I've never seen before offer to guest me in.
Yes indeed, you are not required to know the person you are guesting. For example, you may not know very well a colleague you are travelling with.

But the huge difference is this one : the guy is an adult, fully entitled to get into the lounge. If anything happens, you have no responsibility.

In the current case, OP is a minor. He is legally not responsible for himself, the guardian is. For EK, the guardian is anyone who accompanied the minor into the lounge.
If anything happens, the adult may be held accountable, even if it may not be illegal to guest an unknown minor.
At the end, you may get away with nothing, but, you'll get into a lot of trouble and loss of time, and maybe missed flight.

Moreover, some parents won't hesitate suing you for putting a vulnerable person in danger.

As a parent myself, I would be extremely worried if my underage child offers money to strangers in order to circumvent rules - whatever they are -. And I would like to know if this happens. (My kids are all grown-up, so, it is no more relevant for me)

Guesting an unknown adult : yes.
Guesting an unknown minor : never

(Legal age may differ from a country to another, but, you got the general idea.)