FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Upgrade with Q credit - waitlisting
View Single Post
Old Jun 8, 2017, 1:56 am
remdk

Originally Posted by bison1847
Ok sorry if this is a stupid question. I have 2 tranches of Qcredits the one which came with gold and then the ones that came with platinum.

1. My gold ones have a mid February expiration and my platinum ones mid may. Can I use the Gold ones to upgrade a flight next year in late February? Assuming the right fare class and I book now?

2. I have a lot of travel comming this year, if I requalify for gold again this year do I get another 40 Qcredits? Or would it roll into 2018 and this have a January 1st issuance?

it seems kinda wierd to me that once you hit platinum there are no more Qcredit perks to keep flying beyond the goal.

thanks!
bison1847 the only stupid question is the one you don't ask!

I am going to use fixed dates in the following so as to make my explanation of a complicated concept easier to understand. Please adjust to your dates.

Except for Qmiles expiry QR do not have fixed dates for tier expiry etc but let them roll through the calendar. Thus if you achieve Gold 15 th. February then you are gold up to 14 February next year, and your Qcredits are valid for one year from award. Thus they will expire if not used by 14 Februray 2018. The 16 th. May you reached Platinum and were awarded a further 60 Qcredits which expire if not used by 15 May 2018. On 15 May your membership year was reset so that your year now runs from 16 May 2017 to 15 May 2018 when the 60 Qcredits expire. The expiry date of Qcredits does not change. They are valid for precisely one year.

To use the 40 Qcredits you need to have requested, and received an upgrade on flights up to almost one year in advance (I think the limit is actually 350 days but I am not sure). When you use Qcredits for a future upgrade they are used and will not expire.

Do not worry about Gold status now that you are Platinum.

At 23.59 15th. May 2018 your account will be evaluated to see if you qualify to retain your Platinum status or not. If you requalify then you will receive a new batch of 60 Qcredits, replacing any unused Qcredits that expire at that time.If you do not requalify

I am afraid this is a longwinded reply dealing with a difficult concept so please ask again if you have further questions.