FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Anything weird about returning a USA car in Canada?
Old Jun 7, 2017, 5:59 pm
JohnnyRockets

Programs: DL Gold / AA Gold
Originally Posted by iahphx
They allow certain city pairs and not others. Like from one USA city you can return a car to Quebec but not to Halifax. In another city, it's the reverse. It doesn't seem to be distance baced; it seems to be random. In my case, I may need to rent a car to another USA city "on the way," return it, and get another contract to continue on to my Canadian city. Weird.
I wouldn't say it is completely random you just don't know what is behind the curtains. Try the same city pair but different dates, it worked few times. I still can't find any combination as south as FL or TX or AZ. The work around is 2 oneway rentals.

Interesting thing, try finding a city pair between HI and lower 48. I like to see it.

Originally Posted by seawolf
I'm surprised DCA allowed you to take an X3 one way out of country. Usually they will want to give you a Canadian-plated or non-local vehicle (including multi-class upgrades).
If it is parked in the aisle they wouldn't stop you. If you asked for it then they might reject. For the non members they would likely pair you up with Canadian plates. I don't think the non-local (assume you meant in state plates)is the issue.
This is more of a oneway thing. Was rejected few times for free/paid upgrades for exotic cars doing oneway. Locations doesn't like renting out oneways as it is bad on their local KPIs.