FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA Guide: ORD / Chicago O'Hare International Airport - MCT, Connection, etc.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 1:02 pm
wrp96
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Nyurka
I am considering a ticket which has a 49 minute connection in ORD from AA domestic to RJ international. Arriving 8;41 pm and departing 9;30 pm on a Tuesday night. I understand that Oneworld no longer protects connections/luggage on separate tickets, so this is out of the question. Is it doable in the same ticket, in business class? Passenger has Global Entry/TSA precheck but I don't think this helps with international departure on RJ.

How long would it take to exit terminal 3 AA gates, take ATS train to terminal 5 and get through security without having to pick up luggage. There is an alternate flight earlier, if 49 minutes is too short what is a decent connection time to consider - is 1 hr 45 minutes good?

Thanks!
There would be no way of getting a 49 minute AA-RJ connection on a single ticket as it is well below the MCT. And no you shouldn't risk it on separate tickets, even if you aren't checking bags.

For the 1hr 45 minute connection, yes it should be fine on a single ticket as yes, AA should check luggage through. But if you are on separate tickets and need to check bags, I still wouldn't risk it as bags won't be checked through by AA and you would only be leaving yourself 45 minutes to get off the plane, collect bags (can be quite slow), and make your way to T5 and recheck in with RJ before the 60 min baggage cutoff.