FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Qatar Airways - UAE, KSA, Bahrain and Egypt withdraw licenses and close airspace
Old Jun 6, 2017, 10:11 am
Happy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WorldLux
You keep saying that, but that doesn't make it correct. The essence of insurance is covering risks that may or may not fulfill the definition of force majeure. A lightning strike setting your house ablaze is (in most jurisdiction) a case of force majeure and a decent insurance will cover such cases. Vice versa, most insurance policies will not cover deliberately caused risks. In some jurisdictions it is even illegal to insure such risk.

By principle, force majeure is thus not excluded from being insured. To know what is and isn't covered, you have to refer to the terms & conditions of your own insurance policies.

Thus my initial comment:

remains correct.
What you said and what I said does NOT matter. It is what the insurance fine print said. You can argue on principle on what an insurance is about but it does not change the FACT that the Chase CSR card trip interruption benefits do NOT cover Carrier cancellation other than due to weather. For your reference and the reference for the others I have already posted the information from Chase website.

In case you conveniently forget, the initial question posted was about whether Chase CSR card would cover the trip cancellation. The answer is a resounding NO because Chase says so. How you think and say means nothing to those who are wondering whether they are covered.

Again, US is very different from UK - in US most people DONT buy travel insurance. Unless one has health issues, travel insurance generally is not needed because US credit cards often provide enough coverage for normal scenarios. For the rare occasions like this, then "self-insured" would be it. Meanwhile, the US travelers probably save a lot of money over years of travels.

In UK, travel insurance is almost mandatory, especially for trips offered by tour operators, probably is required by the UK law. Very different concepts.

Again, my comments are directly related to a US credit card coverage the initial poster was wondering about. Chase says NO coverage. Period.

Related to travel but not this situation, US private car insurance covers domestic car rentals, no additional insurance needed. Almost all major credit cards provide 2ndary coverage such that your own car insurance comes first when filing claims. There are some cards offer primary coverage so you do not need to use your own car insurance.
In almost policy there are exclusion on many situations that are deemed "force majeure".

Read the fine prints as always. Also what is in practice in UK does not mean it is the case in US. Hence when a poster asks about a US CC coverage, your answer is INCORRECT.