FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Emotional Support Animals, Service Dogs and Comfort Pets: The Definitive Thread
Old Jun 5, 2017, 4:52 pm
CDTraveler

Originally Posted by FlagrantViola
This.
If you search the literature, it's pretty difficult to find evidence of actual reactions due to pets in a cabin. In fact, people are exposed to animals that they are allergic to more often than they typically realize.
And lots of people misuse the term "allergy". An allergy is a specific kind of immunological reaction.
For example, people often say "I have an allergy to milk" when they are simply lactose intolerant or "I have an allergy to penicillin" when it's just that penicillin gives them nausea and diarrhea.
There are many examples.

It all basically boils down to people building a narrative to fit a personal bias.
I suggest you try getting a few facts before posting this sort of rubbish. Try talking to an allergist, an immunologist, read a few actual medical journals, etc.

Or, here's great idea! Try living with a severe animal allergy! Or food allergy, or other immune system problem, and then post about reality after you've lived it.

Severe allergy to dogs, as in death level severe, runs in my ex's family and my son inherited it. He's been under the care of allergists and immunologists since he was an infant. The allergists we work have shown us studies on animal allergies - a genuine allergy to dogs has a higher fatality rate than many other environmental allergies, and such allergies often become worse over time. We've had to make multiple trips to the ER because of it. Flying requires that he carry 3 different medications in case of a reaction.

As for your lactose intolerance example - do you want to discuss your full medical history when ordering a meal in a restaurant, or perhaps retain some shred of privacy after you absolutely have to make sure you're not going have a negative reaction to your meal? Most (decent) people respect allergies, so if you tell a server that you are allergic, there is a greater chance of getting your need heard and respected than if you try to explain lactose intolerance and have to trust that it will be accurately conveyed to the kitchen.

Like I said, try living it before you slam it.