FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread
View Single Post
Old Jun 5, 2017, 3:40 pm
mnbp

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by bt_yyz
I am a Canadian citizen with NEXUS and I'll be travelling to the US in the next couple days. However, I am applying for a visa (foreign country, not US) so I plan to travel WITHOUT my Canadian passport.

From YYZ, I will fly UA and then 3 other domestic US flights on UA (I guess I could use a drivers lic, or NEXUS), and then AC to fly back to Canada.
Is this an issue with airline GAs? It appears that CBP and CBSA are fine for using NEXUS as ID, proof of citizenship, entry document, etc. But a bunch of other forum threads have mentioned problems with GAs.

Should I have any concerns? Otherwise I will have to bring my passport and pay extra for rush/expedited visa application.
Originally Posted by greglvnv
Both UA GA and CBP will probably ask you go for a passport on the way to the US.
Originally Posted by seawolf
CBP at YUL have been consistently asking for passport despite me using NEXUS card for the kiosk. Since I always bring my passport anyway, I never tried telling them I only have NEXUS card on me.
When weighing your options, consider:

- The cost of rush/expedited service for a visa application
vs
- The cost (dollars / time) of missing flight(s) due to insufficient documentation

It is entirely the responsibility of the traveler to carry correct travel documents. If a GA/TA denies boarding because you don't have a passport, that's on you, not on the airline. You might well be right, but you will be at least out of time if not money due to the disagreement.

Yes, it might work to travel CA->US->CA by air just with Nexus card.

I wouldn't do it. For me, the downside risk of possible disrupted travel plans is simply too high.