FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Car awards?
Thread: Car awards?
View Single Post
Old Jun 5, 2017, 1:50 am
javabytes
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by swag
With useaamiles, the rates can drop significantly if you have elite status.

For OP's rental, I still see 57,900, about what you saw. But when I then log in as an AA Gold, the price drops to 21,100 miles. And I'm only Gold, a Platinum or Exec Plat might save even more. At those levels, you're getting better than a penny per mile, which is not unreasonable if you have a large stash of miles, especially given how sparse AA saver award seats are these days.

Yes, the price doesn't include the taxes & fees. Those aren't shown, but should be the same as for a paid rental.

The main thing to be aware of are the T&Cs. In particular, changes cost $30 and cancellations cost $150, and it's non-cancellable within 4 days of pickup. Given that cash car rentals are usually penalty-free, that's significant.

https://www.useaamiles.com/carhotel/termsCondition.asp

Edit - I was looking economy, but full size car cost and savings are similar.
Assuming you're looking at the very first line, I (an EXP) also see 21,100 miles for Budget. So it seems like being a higher tier elite does not yield more favorable pricing than being a Gold.

However, their sorting seems screwed up, because a few rows further down, I see Hertz vehicles in the 18k range.