FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Tips for someone about to become a real frequent traveler
Old Jun 4, 2017, 1:34 pm
roberino

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Originally Posted by LupineChemist
So good morning all.

It looks like I may be starting a job where I go from occasional travel (once every month or two) to 50% on the road all over the world.

I know all the travel 101 and even 201 stuff and travel all the time for leisure, too. I still get a kick out of when I get long haul J, but it's definitely nothing new (though I'm sure it will get old fast).

I'm looking for what sort of advice people have for going to real frequent status.

One of my big concerns is my health as it's easy to keep track of what I eat and just make the travel days a splurge but I suppose I'll have to start turning down extra champagne in the lounge for example.

My biggest question is basically what is that I don't know I don't know about the lifestyle I'm choosing to watch out for?
There is a pressure sometimes to not enjoy where you are simply because your OH isn't with you. Learn to get over that. I used to go to some incredible parts of the world and not experience them properly in case my wife felt like I was "living without her". Now I will happily go wine tasting in the Western Cape if I'm working in Cape Town, or skiing if I'm in the Alps in winter, or to the Louvre if I'm in Paris. If you don't then you'll start to convince youself that it is vitally important that you do three hours of emails in your room every night and you'll miss out on the fantastic life experiences on offer.