FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DL & the airport team up to improve passenger flow in ATL
Old May 18, 2004, 1:30 pm
atl runner

Programs: DL 2MM DM & My Wife is a DL 3MM DM
Originally Posted by Spiff
Nowhere in my post did I advocate eliminating all security.

I assert that we should get rid of useless measures that do nothing for aircraft safety and everything for passenger harassment.

None of the hassle that I have mentioned will ever decrease the chances of another incident. Sensible screening measures, however, will.
Well Spiff as I said I agree with you that some of the stuff is pointless, but if I recall correctly the 9/11 guys didn't have guns but sharp, pointy objects and wasn't Richard Reid trying to blow up a plane with explosives in his shoes? I don't know where to draw the line between safe, effective measures and needless hassles anymore than anyone else. All I'm saying is this ain't a particularly friendly world right now (and that street cuts in both--or multiple--directions) and I'd rather go for a little overkill.
Most of us who post here fly regularly and should know how to clear security 90% of the time without having a major hassle (although I agree the inconsistencies are annoying). If someone is constantly having fights with the security folks, I'd say they are having an authority issue thing getting aroused. When I'm flying, my goal is to get from point A to point B in the easiest, quickest and most comfortable way possible, and most of the time that's relatively easy to do if you want to.