FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Window shades night flights (sun up)
View Single Post
Old Jun 1, 2017, 4:38 pm
nallison
Suspended

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
Originally Posted by madfish
Can you point out anywhere where somebody on here has said they would refuse a direct instruction from the cabin crew? I think you misunderstand the definition of DYKWIA which is clear by the way you infer that those who do not wish to lower the blind must be.

So you are saying airlines know what customers want and prefer? In which case why do I not find that I can have a jacuzzi at 30,000 feet? That is what I would like. What airlines like, and perhaps more importantly, what cabin crew like may be very different things. CC would like customers to sleep and no doubt having a darker plane encourages this. You may want to ask why this is? And if airlines wanted to insist that the blinds have to be closed why provide eyeshades in the F cabin in the first place? Doesn't make much sense to provide something that isn't needed.

As for explaining issues of light polution, there are probably an equal number of people identifying the simple solution to this that means that those who want to see during hours of daylight are able to do so whilst allowing hosevtgetcwant to sleep sleep.

I have not mentioned economy and indeed the OP didn't either so have not commented on this. Please focus on the issue in hand, or do you wish to expand on this as clearly you don't appear to have an answer that does not involve insulting others by referring to them as selfish, arrogant and, perhaps importantly on a FF forum, DYKWIA, simply because they don't agree with your view.
The Ops question was 'What is the general consensus of having your window blind raised on an overnight flight so I'd say I've focussed fairly well on the issue at hand.

Well done on getting a jacuzzi into the discusison, and someone said my view wasn't balanced! I think the difference between airlines making a cost-free request that passengers close a blind and installing jacuzzi's on the fleet is fairly obvious. It's a fairly innocuous request to make the best of the situation as it is for the majority of passenegers, I don't think that translates as 'now we have to give everyone a pony'.

I'm using these terms because I see them used on this forum a lot by people referring to others anti-social behaviour, and I've seen some rather stern posts before about proper behavour from some of those who are now upset about being called out.

I'm afraid you don't get to pick and choose what is anti-social according to your own preferences, it's established by society and the norms of behaviour on planes. It wasn't me that decided shades should generally be down, I just happen to understand the reason for it and reluctantly agree. Which means, as I actually prefer the window but still go along with this because it is so obvious that it's pretty inconsiderate, that I find it very weak that people are claiming there is any ambiguity about this. There isn't, everyone knows and that's why you'll generally see all the shades down, particularly on flights heading east.

I do have an answer, I've explained several times, you just dont like it. The answer is that it's considered inconsiderate by the majority of people. Just like speaking on the phone too loudly in the lounge, or letting your kids run riot, or being overly demanding of crew. If you won't go along with what the majority of people consider appropriate in a social situation, and make a principle of doing so, it's yourself to have to ask quesitons of, not others, and don't be surprised if people bring up the dreaded DYKWIA, even if you think that only applies to 'other people'.

Last edited by nallison; Jun 1, 2017 at 4:51 pm