FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Help with tour Santiago to Valparaiso
View Single Post
Old Jun 1, 2017, 1:29 pm
Goldorak
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
I just came back from Chile and I am glad I followed that thread. So just to share my own experience here.
Originally I asked a question in that thread about how to go from SCL airport to Valparaiso because I don't speak a word of Spanish (unfortunately) and was a bit lost to find my way between the various coaches and departure points from Santiago.
Arriving in SCL after a very long flight from France (CDG-SCL is the longest non-stop AF flight : 14h40 min flight time !!), I have to say I got lazy and took a Uber straight from SCL (to Vina - see below why) and I did not regret it because I saved a lot of time and fatigue also. It cost me €90. Of course it's a sum but when you realize it's the cost of a round trip in taxi between CDG and Paris, it feels better
On the return, I took the Turbus from Valpa to Anameda station in a Santiago and it was no issue at all.

For the hotel, I originally booked at the Ibis Valparaiso (bottom part of the city, near Plaza Sotomayor) because I am an Accor program Platinum and the hotel was cheap. I am not a big fan of Ibis but it was cheap and that's all Accor has to proposed there. But reading this thread, I thought that I should move to Vina Del Mar. As I had some SPG points, I booked at the Sheraton in Vina. And I did not regret it at all. So I want to sincerely thank a lot the people in that thread who have provided such good advices. The Sheraton was fantastic. The view is stunning (all rooms have sea view) and I had a great corner room. Uber was my best friend there. You can reach Valpa from the Sheraton in 10-15 min for a ridiculous cost (€7-8) with Uber. The train is also a good way but involves a 15 min walk from the Sheraton to the station.
And Valpa was...as described by other posters. The bottom part is really to avoid. Even during the day, I was not feeling comfortable. Some hills were quite interesting to walk around and of course the "ascensores" rides are a must and the view from the hills on the sea are stunning.
So Valpa is a place to see, but being careful about your belongings and not walking into dog sh.... (everywhere...). I would not recommend to spend more than 2 days there. And definitely, try to stay in Vina instead.
After Valpa, I have been to Easter Island (3 days) and that was THE trip. It is absolutely fantastic and I should have stayed one more day on the island and one day less in Valpa/Vina.
I hope this will be useful for future travelers in this region.