FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Where to sit on the Boeing 747-400 [merged B744 experience reports]
Old Jun 1, 2017, 12:07 pm
MichielR

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by skanknpunx
I had a few questions that I need some help figuring out. Couldn't find exact answers searching around.

My specs: I am flying in seat 85A, window seat, upper deck, business class, 9 hour flight.

1) What is the power situation?
Example: 1 USB and 1 AC power plug that fits USA styled plugs
Or 1 USB, etc.

2) Any personal air vents in the overhead?

3) What size carry on suit cases fit in the overhead of the upper deck?
- I have 21" spinner carry-on.
Will it fit?
If not, where would they put it?

4). Any disadvantages to seat 85A (window seat)?

5) Cabin temp on upper deck? Any issues?

6) Getting on and off the plane, how do they board and exit folks on the plane? Are upper deck passengers allowed on and off first or last?

7) wifi?

8) For the entertainment, did you feel that there was enough variety for a 9 hour flight?

9) Any other tips or things to know?

Thank you for any advice you may post. I've not been on a 9 hour flight before and fear the unknown and of being bored or hot on a plane for that long.

Thank you!
1: Power: 2 (shared) outlets in the middle between each seat pair. Fits US and European plugs.

2: No air vents.

3: the overheads are smaller than normal, but you will have the side bins you can use between the seat and window on the UD. A 21" might just fit in the overhead, if not they will find space elsewhere.

4: disadvantage of 85A is 85C, your neighbor who you may have to disturb when you get in/out of the seat. Otherwise this is as good a seat as you can get on LH.

5: no temperature issues that I have ever experienced, although this is very personal in that some people are always cold or always too warm. A shirt and sweater will usually be enough to adapt, bring comfortable clothes especially if you intend to sleep. Blankets are available, and some extras are often at your disposal should you be cold.

6: for boarding this depends on where you are flying from, some places are better at enforcing priority boarding than others. I have no experience at SEA. No difference between C UD and LD though, just turn left, right or take the stairs from door 2L. In terms of leaving the plane the UD pax will usually queue on the stairs and then leave along with the other C pax. If you need to get off the plane quickly the UD is not best, although the rows further back have the advantage that you can get down the stairs relatively quickly.

7: FlyNet should be available but check coverage depending on your flight path.

8: there is not enough for 9 hours unless you are not at all picky, or want to watch for example 6 James Bond movies if that's what they have. Bring an iPad and a book though an you will be just fine. On the transatlantic you should also sleep some 6 hours at least.

9: don't worry about the length of the flight. Spend time eating, watching a movie, sleeping, reading a book, working and before you know it you will be at your destination.

Depending on your preferences with regard to jet lag, you might want to eat at the airport before your flight and try to sleep soon after take-off; alternatively eat on the plane and sleep after the dinner service, skip breakfast unless you have to go to work straight after the flight. The extra sleep can be worth it.

Have a good flight!