FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DL & the airport team up to improve passenger flow in ATL
Old May 18, 2004, 10:03 am
UnofficialDLHelper

DL & the airport team up to improve passenger flow in ATL

For those concerned with ATL's long waits at security.....

Delta has partnered with officials at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, a Georgia congressional delegation and the Transportation Security Administration to develop a solution to the airport’s security line woes.

Hartsfield-Jackson will add four lanes at the main security checkpoint by June 30, bringing the total to 22 lanes. Work will begin in September to completely redesign the security checkpoint area to accommodate additional security lines. The redesign should be complete toward the end of the year.

The security checkpoint redesign will be exclusive to the main area and will not include the additional checkpoint near the T Concourse.

“Hartsfield-Jackson currently has 18 security lanes in the main checkpoint,” said Kristi Holtrop, regional director-Corporate Real Estate. “We will be working with the Department of Aviation to redesign the main area, which has the highest volume of passenger traffic. The ultimate design will result in a much more efficient layout for the number of passengers at Hartsfield-Jackson.”

According to the Department of Aviation, wait times at Hartsfield-Jackson can vary from less than five minutes to more than an hour, depending on the time of day and season of travel. This has become an issue for customers, airlines and officials of the world’s busiest passenger airport.

By the end of 2004, Delta passengers should see a significant reduction in wait times during both peak hours and holiday periods. Though the same security measures will be in place, the TSA requests that passengers avoid packing prohibited items, wearing items that contain metal while passing through the metal detectors and leaving laptop computers in their carrying cases prior to approaching the X-ray machines.

The airport's website even offers a system called Trak-a-Line.

"Upon registering, you will be sent an email whenever there are changes to the wait time at the security checkpoint lines. If the security checkpoint lines at the security checkpoint lines lengthen or shorten, you'll know right away via email."

You may also check on ATL's wait times on the airport's main page or on delta.com.

I am not a sanctioned representative of Delta on these boards, just an interested participant. I'm only here trying to shed light on DL issues brought up on this board and to provide my opinion and/or to try to answer Qs. I do work for Delta, but I don't represent DL's final word when answering a question (in any capacity). Please e-mail Customer Care with your questions to get a corporately-supported reply. www.delta.com/email

Last edited by UnofficialDLHelper; Aug 13, 2004 at 10:49 pm