FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Japan Rail (JR) Pass questions (consolidated)
Old May 31, 2017, 6:54 am
AlwaysAisle

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by VoiD
For the NEX, I heard I can transfer to any station on JR East line after getting off from NEX, Does it work other way around too? I can get on a JR east station then transfer to NEX using the NEX roundtrip ticket?
There is Narita Express round trip discount fare which includes transfer to JR commuter trains within Tokyo Metropolitan area. This discount ticket has to be purchased as a round trip where this round trip discount ticket the return trip has to be made within 14 days and cost is 4,000 yen. This is the only Narita Express ticket I am aware where transfer to local JR commuter lines are included. Other types of Narita Express tickets do not include free transfer to local JR commuter lines.

If purchasing other types of Narita Express ticket at Narita Airport not using above round trip discount, then you can specify to a ticket agent where your final destination on JR line that day is. Then an agent at a ticket desk can issue one ticket which will include both Narita Express and additional commuter train ride after Narita Express. Or some time it will be two separate tickets. This case transfer to local JR commuter lines will be additional cost.

If you buy Narita Express ticket not using above discount to Tokyo station only, and did not specify that you are continuing on to other parts of Tokyo using JR line, then a ticket for Narita Express you got is only good till Tokyo station. Any journey beyond that requires purchasing on additional ticket.