FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]
Old May 30, 2017, 2:45 pm
sgt20

Am I out of luck in case of disruptions?

I am new to the forum and to travel hacking. Please be kind.

I saved $500 by booking two separate tickets -- Ticket A: LEX-EWR; Ticket B: EWR-ZRH-DXB (roundtrip). Both tickets were booked separately on United.com. Ticket B is completely operated by Swiss airways but ticketed as codeshare (i.e. all UA flight numbers).

The layover between tickets A and B is just about 3.5 hours, but the LEX-EWR flight is notorious for being delayed or cancelled (0 out of 5 stars on flightaware), especially during the winter, when I will travel.

If it matters, I used a $100 voucher on Ticket A to reduce the out of pocket cost. I wasn't allowed to use it on Ticket A+B because it was non-UA-operated international flight.

I had the choice to book for the same price via Swiss, but I chose United.com, even though I would only get half the award miles. I called United and had them "link" the tickets (which is nothing more than notes in the system, I understand). I was told that if I check in on time for the first flight, I should be okay, that they will make sure I will reach my destination. So I did not cancel it within the first 24 hours. Now, I am doubting myself and could use the expertise of the FT community.

The question is: Am I out of luck with Ticket B in case of IRROPS/getting involuntarily bumped or will UA re-route me to reach my destination?

Thanks much!
Sgt