FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Citi Hilton Honors VISA (no annual fee version) [Ends Dec 2017]
Old May 29, 2017, 7:57 pm
flyer4512

Originally Posted by kocoliza
Ok... so, kinda scary DP. Decided to apply for 40k Link. Denied. Great credit. Only 2 inq on report right now. I have a really old simplicity open and an AA Plat. This is what I was told by Recon: too many accounts open and closed just for the bonus. The rep explicitly said this and cited the 4 AA Executives that we opened and then closed 2 years ago for the 100k bonus. She said citi has changed its system to auto deny people who have opened and closed "too many" CITI cards. She said is something new and has nothing to do with credit report or history.
Unless this new policy started after 4/20/2017 ( date I opened my last HH card) it's not true.

If it was I would have been denied with the rep telling me I had a LOT more than 4 cards in the past 2 years.
SO applied to an AA Personal Plat and was told the same thing (obly Citi AA card currently open is Exec. Opened 24+ months ago.)
It makes no sense that your SO was denied for having only one Citi card that she still has open and paid TWO $450 AF's.

i was so shocked by the reps response that I did not HUCA. I honestly had no answer to "opened a card, spent 10k and closed it in 30 days" �� Any suggestions as to what to say??
MAYBE people who MS $10k and avoided the $450 AF ( or whatever it was) threw up some sort of flag as while I have had dozens of Citi cards I never used MS spend or tried to avoid an AF the first year by closing the card fast.

See what the denial letter says, it it matches what the rep said it looks like there is some new policy or you are black listed @ Citi.

Last edited by flyer4512; May 29, 2017 at 8:13 pm